Rain barrels are becoming an increasingly popular way to collect and store rainwater for use in gardens, lawns, and other outdoor spaces. Not only can rain barrels help you save money on your water bill, but they can also reduce the strain on municipal water supplies and help conserve this precious resource. However, to make the most of your rain barrel, it’s important to choose the right stand to support it.
In this post, we’ll explore the benefits of using a rain barrel stand, including how it can improve stability and safety, enhance accessibility, and improve the overall aesthetics of your rainwater harvesting system. Whether you’re new to rainwater harvesting or you’re looking to upgrade your existing setup, this guide will provide you with all the information you need to choose the best rain barrel stand for your needs.
What is a rain barrel stand?
A rain barrel stand is a structure designed to elevate a rain barrel off the ground, providing stability and ease of access. A rain barrel stand can be made of different materials such as wood, plastic, or metal and is typically designed to fit the specific size and shape of the rain barrel. It is important to use a rain barrel stand to ensure the rain barrel is stable and secure, especially when it is full of water which can be very heavy. Additionally, elevating the rain barrel on a stand can make it easier to fill watering cans or connect a hose for watering plants. A rain barrel stand can also provide clearance for spigots, making it easier to access the water inside the barrel.
How much does a rain barrel stand cost and is it worth the investment?
The cost of a rain barrel stand can vary depending on the size, material, and design. On average, a basic rain barrel stand can cost anywhere from $30 to $80, while more elaborate or customized stands can cost upwards of $150.
While this may seem like an additional expense, it is important to consider the long-term benefits of using a stand to support your rain barrel.
A well-designed stand can help protect your investment by providing stability and security, reducing the risk of damage or injury. Additionally, a stand can improve accessibility, making it easier to access the water inside and reducing the strain on your back and knees.
Overall, the cost of a rain barrel stand is a worthwhile investment for anyone who is serious about maximizing the benefits of their rainwater harvesting system.
Why you should use a rain barrel stand?
There are several reasons why you should use a rain barrel stand, here are the most important benefits that we could think of.
Stability and safety:
A full rain barrel can be heavy, so using a stand ensures that the barrel is stable and won’t tip over, which could cause damage or injury.
A rain barrel stand provides stability and safety in several ways:
- Weight distribution: When a rain barrel is full of water, it can be very heavy, and placing it on the ground can make it more likely to tip over. A rain barrel stand helps distribute the weight of the barrel more evenly, providing a stable base that can support the weight of the water without tipping over.
- Height and center of gravity: By elevating the rain barrel off the ground, a stand raises its center of gravity, making it less likely to tip over. Additionally, a rain barrel stand can be designed with a wider base than the rain barrel itself, further improving stability and safety.
- Material and construction: A well-designed rain barrel stand is made of sturdy and durable materials such as wood, plastic, or metal, and is constructed to provide maximum stability and safety. Some stands may have additional features such as crossbars, braces, or straps to further reinforce the structure and prevent wobbling or tipping.
- Weather resistance: A good rain barrel stand is designed to withstand the elements and resist corrosion, warping, or other damage over time. This ensures that the stand remains stable and safe to use even in harsh weather conditions.
Elevating the rain barrel on a stand can make it easier to access the water inside for gardening and other outdoor tasks. You can fill watering cans and connect hoses more easily if the barrel is at a comfortable height.
A rain barrel stand can help with accessibility in more than one way:
- Elevation: By elevating the rain barrel off the ground, a stand raises it to a more comfortable height, making it easier to access the water inside for gardening and other outdoor tasks. This can reduce the need to bend down or crouch, which can be uncomfortable or even painful for some people.
- Hose connections: A rain barrel stand can also make it easier to connect a hose or other watering tool to the spigot on the rain barrel. By raising the barrel off the ground, the stand provides clearance for the hose to connect more easily, reducing the need to contort or stretch in uncomfortable positions.
- Watering cans: If you prefer to use watering cans to water your plants, a rain barrel stand can make it easier to fill them up. By elevating the rain barrel, the stand brings it closer to the level of the watering can, reducing the need to lift heavy cans or stretch to reach the spigot.
- Mobility: Depending on the design of the rain barrel stand, it may be possible to move the barrel and stand together, making it easier to reposition the barrel as needed. This can be especially helpful if you need to move the barrel to a different part of your garden or yard.
Clearance for spigots:
Some rain barrels have spigots at the bottom for accessing the water inside. Using a stand can provide clearance for these spigots, making it easier to access the water without having to crouch down.
A rain barrel stand can help with clearance for spigots in many ways:
- Elevation: The rain barrel stand provides elevation, which raises the spigot to a more comfortable height, making it easier to reach the water inside the barrel without having to crouch down or bend over. This can help prevent discomfort and pain, particularly for individuals who may have difficulty with bending or standing for extended periods.
- Distance: Depending on the design of the rain barrel, the spigot may be positioned close to the bottom of the barrel, making it difficult to access the water inside without tipping the barrel over. A rain barrel stand can provide additional clearance for the spigot, allowing you to access the water more easily without having to tilt the barrel.
- Hose connections: Some rain barrel spigots are designed to connect directly to a hose, allowing you to water your garden or plants without having to fill up a watering can. However, if the spigot is too low to the ground, it can be difficult to connect a hose without having to crouch down or bend over. A rain barrel stand can provide additional clearance for the spigot, making it easier to connect a hose and reducing the strain and discomfort associated with watering your plants.
Better water pressure:
Elevating the rain barrel on a stand can improve water pressure when using a hose or other watering tools, as gravity helps to push the water out more effectively.
A rain barrel stand itself does not directly improve water pressure. However, it can indirectly improve the water pressure by providing additional elevation to the rain barrel.
When a rain barrel is placed directly on the ground, the spigot is at the same level as the ground. This can reduce the water pressure and make it more difficult to water your plants effectively.
By elevating the rain barrel off the ground with a stand, the spigot is raised to a higher level, which can help maintain a higher water pressure. Additionally, by connecting a hose to the spigot, the water can be directed over a greater distance, further increasing the water pressure.
A rain barrel stand can also improve the appearance of the rain barrel, making it look more attractive and integrated into the overall design of your outdoor space.
A rain barrel stand can help with aesthetics from many points of view:
- Design: Many rain barrel stands are designed with aesthetics in mind, featuring attractive patterns or finishes that can complement your outdoor decor. Some stands may also be designed to match specific rain barrel models or styles, creating a cohesive look for your rainwater harvesting system.
- Height: By elevating the rain barrel off the ground, the stand can help create a more visually appealing setup. Rather than having the rain barrel sitting directly on the ground, which can look unsightly and out of place, the elevated barrel can become a focal point of your garden or yard.
- Integration: Depending on the design of the stand, it may be possible to integrate it with other elements of your outdoor space. For example, a rain barrel stand with a built-in planter can help the barrel blend in with your garden and provide additional visual interest.
- Concealment: If you prefer to hide your rain barrel from view, a stand can help create a more discreet setup. By elevating the barrel and placing it in a more out-of-the-way location, you can minimize the visual impact of the barrel on your outdoor space.
Overall, a rain barrel stand can help improve aesthetics by providing an attractive design, elevating the rain barrel to create a more visually appealing setup, integrating with other elements of your outdoor space, and helping to conceal the barrel from view if desired.